Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Erin (Yoshi) in Santiago, Chile

Ladies and Gents,
We are proud to say that Yoshi aka Erin is safe and warm in Santiago, Chile where she will be staying for a minute and working with our folks CEKIS. Since she is not the best at keeping up with updates, we will do it for her. This just in from an email. Enjoy and pictures will come soon.

Love and Machetes
TYS Brooklyn


Santiago is amazing.  They are doing great stuff around graf here.  Man everyone is killing it with their crazy style.  It is very unique because everyone has their own style to do a character... most things are very cartoonized but with super skill.  So a bug is a super dope animated bug...nothing really realistic that I have seen.  Only a few people do it here.   And since walls are pretty easy to get people are doing humongous walls by themselves... even young guys...It is pretty impressive.

I didn't realize Cekis, Nelson, is like one of the most famous graf painter's in Chile.  That he is known as like the a super dope old skool writer because graf came about in his generation.  So he is super respected...  It is funny because he is so humble that you would not know.  I mean I knew he was super talented but it is just so cool to see the city support for the arts and his crew.  They have districts where every building has graf and today we went by a graf gallery that was two stories and each room was covered with pieces from folks from all over.  It is called BOMB and it says just covering the entrance for the whole two stories in black and white.

We are going to paint a piece a few doors down from the gallery.  It is someone's house but they gave us permission to paint it.  The wall is nice...

There are two things that have really impacted the way that I am thinking about my own work.  1) if you hold the can upside down for a few seconds like 20 sec or more.... the pressure is released so it sprays much more in control and smaller.  So folks here are using fat caps like skinnies by controlling the pressure in the can.... that was tight... shit they got lines so small they look like the super skinnies made with the top of the can.

2) People hella paint recessed... well it has been the most impressive thing I have seen.  People paint hella scenes in scenes by having them push back example... a fake bridge in the horizon and then a scene under the bridge... super detailed... but paint it pretty quick...I have seen other painter's do it but man they are doing it super dope.

Anywho I am well.  We start our wall tomorrow.  I am pretty nervous.  I came home today and sketched out my idea... I actually sketched... I am nervous cause you guys aren't here with me.  Who is going to tell me when my proportions are off or that I am using too many colors....who will make fun of my apron... well they probably will... but it is not the same....   Basically I miss you guys and I super thank you guys for teaching me so much...

I will be in touch soon...

E

No comments: